Who is the commander of Israelite military? ( Joshua 5:13-15)
Now when Joshua was near Jericho, he looked up and saw a man standing in front of him with a drawn sword in his hand. Joshua went up to him and asked, “Are you for us or for our enemies?”14“Neither,” he replied, “but as commander of the army of the Lord I have now come.” Then Joshua fell face down to the ground in reverence, and asked him, “What message does my Lord have for his servant?”15The commander of the Lord’s army replied, “Take off your sandals, for the place where you are standing is holy.” And Joshua did so.
The Scripture focuses on Christ, who is the Lord of redemption of his own people. Furthermore the Old Testament points on Christ, as the creator of all redemption, the source of our salvation. Through studying O.T. we find lots of symbolism and types of Christ, Christ executed to accomplish the economy of God, which established with beginning. Among them the chief of the military of Israel in Joshua. Who was the chief of the military? We can observe that following questions can provide these important answers to us.
First, what prove the fact to be Christ?
1) The passage reveals the fact, as the incarnated Christ.
(1) He led Joshua, who took charge to occupy Canaan by standing before him and commanding how to occupy them. Only The Lord can lead his servants in order to accomplish the economy of God. Joshua should obey his command because he was the pre-incarnated Christ.
(2) He was worshiped by Joshua, because he was the Christ, who took the same authority of Jehovah. Then Joshua bowed down him because he was God as the angel of the Lord.
– The context proves the reason, as soon as the word of the chief of military revealed at once. The Lord revealed towards the warfare of Jehovah. Why the commander change into the Lord? Two terms are interchangeable identification. In a word, the commander must be the Lord.
(Joshua 6:1-4) Now Jericho was shut up inside and outside because of the people of Israel. None went out, and none came in. 2And the Lord said to Joshua, “See, I have given Jericho into your hand, with its king and mighty men of valor. 3You shall march around the city, all the men of war going around the city once. Thus shall you do for six days. 4Seven priests shall bear seven trumpets of rams’ horns before the ark. On the seventh day you shall march around the city seven times, and the priests shall blow the trumpets.
Who is our commander ? Jesus Christ who died on the cross and rose out . He command us “ go to all nation to make disciple and teach his word and make them to keepthe word in the world.” of death. Is our commande r. Mt 28: 18 says “And Jesus came and said to them, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. 19Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them inb the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. And behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age.” “ We are his company his military whh should follow his command in the world. So we today obey his command faithfully. In studying bible English and ministry relationship. This is our privillage.
Second, What did the chief command to Joshua exists?
As the authority of Moses, Joshua should take off his shoes on the earth, the promised holy land, Canaan, which points the heaven or, the state of fulness of Holy Spirit. The holy thing should be accomplished by the holy persons who was saved out of his sins. Joshua is the type of Christ.
Verse 15 said “ The commander of the Lord’s army replied, “ Take off your sandals, for the place where you are standing is holy.” In a word The commander made Joshua be holy. Holiness of the land was the purpose of his activities. When the leader was holy, he could accomplish the purpose of God towards His own people, Israel. Now our Lord, our Joshua, Jesus Christ works in his people’s holiness by the work of Holy Spirit. Repentance and faith to the word of the God is primary ministry of Holy Spirit in us for holiness shall be stage of God’s redemptive ministry.
In our school life is lke a sever spiritual warfare. The primary mission that we have to keep is to keep ourselves to be holy. What does it mean? Holiness means to live the separated life out of the wordly thinking, mind, attitude, direction and methodology. Do you keep the holiness in your actual life? Do n’t you knoe struggle to the real life in your school life? Especially we have to keep himself in the world. “ “ We have to caution to the stimulated sins in the youth day. Basically the Scripture respect the godly relationship between the male and the female. ( godly marriage life godly intimacy) but Satan tempt us in the aspect of the beautiful life toward the secular seat. Although any temptation attack to us any time any place we should keep ourselves by God’s wisdom as Joseph did. Genesis says “ “. How could Joseph overcome the temptation? Because he know the positive method to escape the place. In this time if you concentrate to the reading the Word of God, and praying to God to get some grace, you can get the power to overcome the temptation. Keep yur holiness because Jesus Christ made us to be holy. (I Corinthian 3:16) we are a temple.
Third, What is the role of the commander to occupy Canaan?
It’s role was to encourage his people, to keep the fear of the Lord after occupying the city. The pre-incarnated Christ was appeared among the Israelite. It means that his appearance accompanied the presence of God’s glory. His action suggests the military of God’s people. It is the type of Christ. Jesus as the only mediator between God and his people died on the cross in the replace of his people to lift up to the heavenly state. So we believe that His death is my death. Kis resurrection my resurrection and his ascendance my ascendance. (Ephesian 2:4-7) But God, being rich in mercy, because of the great love with which he loved us, 5even when we were dead in our trespasses, made us alive together with Christ—by grace you have been saved— 6and raised us up with him and seated us with him in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus, 7so that in the coming ages he might show the immeasurable riches of his grace in kindness toward us in Christ Jesus.
Paul confessed that “ I was crucified with Christ. “ (Gal2:20) I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.
Their wonderful position of the revelation was drawn in the text, that is, the event to occupy the city, Jericho. How did the revelation reveal to us? There are elements.
(1) His work is very simple. Whenever obey his command can occupy the city. Their positive action was obedience, as a child followed his parent’s command. So Jesus evangelized that only the person who was like a child with obeying heart and humble heart can enter into the heaven. To priick can not be accepted by God. Israel obeyed and followed according to Joshua’s direction.
Today we should follow Jesus direction in any situation, by the teaching of the Scripture.
(2) His work was centered of the word of the Lord, which the ark of covenant points. When they turned arrived at Jericho, they should follow the Ark, which means the presence of God and the Word of God.
One day one time they should turn around the city Jericho. Seventh day seven times they should turn around Jericho. And they should shout out with one voice “ shout! For the Lord has given you the city!” However this is the attitude of their faith to the covenant, because God gives the city to them, they could claim that this is our property, God’s property.
(3) They should follow the direction of God. To keep, to think, to work the promised land and the arranged property. They should accept that the city and It’s possession was offered to God. So Israel should not use the military possession by themselves. The commander focuses to destroy the city Jericho the first city of Canaan as well as to keep to thank in the life of the people. Jesus Christ, our only gracious mediator accomplished these two mission as the economy of God. Joshua, the type of Jesus accomplished his command incompletely. As such events, the redemptive work of Jesus were revealed the wonderful theme repeatedly to us.
In our school life we follow to the Lord Jesus Christ. How? By faith we can follow him. It means that we have to accept his merit in our lives and to claim that by faith and repentance. We assure that Our Joshua accomplish the salvation for us 2010 years ago. Do you believe it ?
The commander of military was the pre-incarnated Christ. He revealed before Joshua, as type of Christ revealed the redemptive execution of the economy of God and also He revealed obviously the ride, the attitude and the methodology of redemption to his people. We, as one of the predestination people, should learn the methodology and the goal and serve him in the world.