15 The Son is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn over all creation. 16 For in him all things were created: things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities; all things have been created through him and for him. 17 He is before all things, and in him all things hold together. 18 And he is the head of the body, the church; he is the beginning and the firstborn from among the dead, so that in everything he might have the supremacy. 19 For God was pleased to have all his fullness dwell in him, 20 and through him to reconcile to himself all things, whether things on earth or things in heaven, by making peace through his blood, shed on the cross. (Colossians 1:15-20)
- We who began with our obvious confession of Christ, should learn to know who Christ is every day. In order to be mature Christian why should we do it? Because to know Christ is the eternal life, we have to learn Christ. (Jn17:33 Now this is eternal life: that they know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom you have sent.) Paul who knew Christ on the road of Damascus, he poured out his whole life to know Christ more deeply in his life. By considering everything as the dirty things to get the highest knowledge. (Philiphian3:7-9 But whatever were gains to me I now consider loss for the sake of Christ. 8 What is more, I consider everything a loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things. I consider them garbage, that I may gain Christ 9 and be found in him, not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law, but that which is through faith in Christ—the righteousness that comes from God on the basis of faith.) Therefore to know Christ should be the primary ministry in the church. In Ephesian 1:17 17 I keep asking that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the glorious Father, may give you the Spirit of wisdom and revelation, so that you may know him better.🙂 too that point was emphasized by Paul. The purpose of our ministry is to know and to believe Christ until attainting to the perfect measure of Christ. Who is Jesus Christ? It is the image of God as a mirror. The image means the shadow as a twin, copy and replica.
First, He is the image of God.(15)
- Verse 15 says “ he is the image of invisible God,” Even though no body see God, when we see Christ we can know God because he is the only original image of God. So in order to meet God we have to meet (know) Christ who came to the earth 20000 years ago. Our Lord claimed “One who sees me saw the Father.” (Jn14:1 If you really know me, you will know my Father as well. From now on, you do know him and have seen him.”)
Here, the image points the character of God. Among the character (attributes) we can summarize three character those are; righteousness, mercy and faithfulness. According to Mt23:23 ““Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You give a tenth of your spices—mint, dill and cumin. But you have neglected the more important matters of the law—justice, mercy and faithfulness. You should have practiced the latter, without neglecting the former. “ Because he substituted us, we already have received all characters in us by the regeneration in Holy Spirit. So, Peter claims that we participated into the divine character. What does it mean? We have righteousness, mercy and faithfulness. Therefore when we abide in Christ we can taste the character because we have seen the image of God, we see his reality in our lives. That is the wonderful event in our lives.
And also Paul points that Jesus Christ is the first born out of God. It means that Jesus is second person come out of the father God and holy Spirit God. So John called himself for the begotten son who is different angel. More important thing is he is the first fruit of resurrection out of eternal death. for our salvation. So Paul claimed that the Christians were participated into the the first resurrection in Christ. In the future only whoever participate into the first resurrection can be saved out of second resurrection ( second death).
Why did Paul point that Jesus is the first born? The revelation teaches us about what the true meaning of redemption in our lives is. Rome 8:29-30 says”29 For those God foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brothers and sisters.30 And those he predestined, he also called; those he called, he also justified; those he justified, he also glorified.“ The reason that he is the first born is to imitate him in every areas in our lives. In other words, we shall be restored in the image of Christ.
- Did you meet Jesus Christ in your life? When have you seen Christ? I mean you believe Jesus Christ? Actually to believe mean to see. To believe Jesus is to see Jesus , the image of God. Jesus is the copy of God. We can not see invisible God in our eyes. So God gave the only method and the only channel to us. What is it? It is to see Christ Jesus who was incarnated by a man. Because he became a man with character of human we can touch him , we can look at him and we can communicate with Him. (I Jn1: says “1 That which was from the beginning, which we have heard, which we have seen with our eyes, which we have looked at and our hands have touched—this we proclaim concerning the Word of life. “ So we can claim that I see God. When we study the Scripture the Word of God, we can see God and His kingdom. We can know the righteousness, mercy and faithfulness.
- In Cambodia we can see many image of gods (idols). Although we see the image, we can not see true God. Why? Because the image is not image of God. It is the only artificial product of human thinking.
Although we wash the images (idols budda stone) with clean water repeatedly, we can not see real God. Whoever wants to see the living God he should go to Jesus. Because only he is the image of God. Jn14:6 says “6 Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. “
We are called for preach the image of God, Jesus to the world. Who can preach Him? Only the man should see Him, meet Him and touch Him by faith, you shall assure that only Jesus Christ is the image of God.
Second, he is the creator (16-18)
- Although Jesus come out of the father God he is the creator. Vere 16 says “16 For in him all things were created: things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities; all things have been created through him and for him. “ Paul explains two facts about the creator of Jesus. obviously. What are they first, all thing come out of Him, it means that he is the creator. We believe that all creation was made by Jesus. sky, water, tree, cow and man was made by Him .
- Actually “ he said” in Genesis chapter 1 . when we read it we think that Jesus worked in the first creation . In other word, Jesus execute the work of creation as the Word in every thing. Without Jesus it is not creation of God. Why should the man praise and thank Jesus. Because he is creator as real parent. in our lives. Do you believe in it? Now his word, the Scripture continuously accomplish the wonderful creation, the redemption in our miserable state. So we have to apply the creating word in every areas in our lives.
- Second, Jesus is the provider that control all creation . After he created all thing he did Phnom Pehn , Kompot and Ratanakili. Do not permit the dominion to the creature, but himself control everything in the word, in visible things or, visible things. We believe that he America and Cambodia. So we have to concentrate his dominion, his hand and tremble to his command. We have to glorify Him in eating food or drinking something in our lives. (I Cor.10:31)
- What do you think of Jesus? Do you believe Jesus as your creator? We have to accept that Jesus as creator of all things, as Paul did to us?
- He is the purpose of creation the means of creation and the power of creation
- He is my purpose, my means and my power.
- We should accept Him as my creator.
- = buddism has no the concept of creation. So they stay at the limited line. They claim the circurate in the life, in the history. But we know he super natural power that hopping out of limited line.
- We have take great dream, great vision inn our present situation.
Because we abide in creator.
Have a great vision in your heart.
In this school when you study the word of God you can have creative life, thinking, means and purpose. Let’s claim the glorious truth.
Third, he is the redeemer(19)
Lastly the text proclaim that Jesus is the savior. Verse 20 says “and through him to reconcile to himself all things, whether things on earth or things in heaven, by making peace through his blood, shed on the cross.” Why did he died on the cross 2000 years ago? For our salvation he become the head of the church that were the men who received the salvation. Do you believe in it? Already I told that issue of his salvation at the other time. We have to concentrate on my only savior only Lord in my lives.
- Already we think the term . Do you believe that Jesus is redeemer in your thought.
Revelation John wept for nobody can break the seven signatures. Then 24 elders told him “The lion of the tribe of Judah overcome that! “
My beloved saint, remember that only Jesus is the creator, the provider and the savior, the head of church, Jesus in my creator, my Lord, my provider. We have refuse lying claiming in the world in our heart.
In this day we should accept his leading into his word and his grace in our heart (2013.9.10)