21 Once you were alienated from God and were enemies in your minds because of your evil behavior. 22 But now he has reconciled you by Christ’s physical body through death to present you holy in his sight, without blemish and free from accusation— 23 if you continue in your faith, established and firm, and do not move from the hope held out in the gospel. This is the gospel that you heard and that has been proclaimed to every creature under heaven, and of which I, Paul, have become a servant. (Col. 1:21-23)
- What is the greatest life in the world? Paul assured that the worker of the gospel shall be the happiest man in the world. When we have such self – image in our heart, we can live as one of the most blessing persons. So Paul emphasized that he himself became the worker of the gospel. Verse 23 says”This is the gospel that you heard and that has been proclaimed to every creature under heaven, and of which I, Paul, have become a servant.” Do you know the wonderful grace in your lives?
- Now if we are some miserable state in our lives, if we are so weak in all areas, we should learn the assurance of the Apostle Paul. “ I am the worker of the gospel.” Although we are very short value in our lives, because of the gospel we can live the most blessing man. Do you believe in it?
- When we understand the reality of gospel in present life, we can know the world of blessing.
Why was Paul proud of the worker of the gospel?
First, Because he knew that the gospel changed our identity in his life, he was proud of his worker of gospel. So the apostle often confessed his different points between the past life and the present life. In his epistles.
Rom12:1-2 Therefore, I urge you, brothers and sisters, in view of God’s mercy, to offer your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God—this is your true and proper worship.2 Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.
Eph2: 1As for you, you were dead in your transgressions and sins,2 in which you used to live when you followed the ways of this world and of the ruler of the kingdom of the air, the spirit who is now at work in those who are disobedient.
Verse 21 says, 21 Once you were alienated from God and were enemies in your minds because of your evil behavior.
- As we know, the Scripture reveals the change of the identity, the transformation of our essence by resurrection out of our sinful death. Many symbolism and many types point that wonderful fact. Among them we know the changing event of Naman who was the general chairman of Assyrian military.
As soon as he obeyed the command of the prophet, Elisha to enter into the water in Jordan river seven times. Then his leper disease on his skin was changed into the baby skin. There was the wonderful miracle in his life by the obedience. This is the wonderful moment changing life. Our Christian changing point is just like this. When we accepted Jesus as my savior soon our lives was changed, our identity has changed eternally. Do you believe in it? Our past life as miserable leper have changed into our present life, new life by the power of Holy Spirit. From darkness to brightness, from the death to the life, from the disease to the healing. “Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, the new creation has come: The old has gone, the new is here! “ (I Corin 5:17) In a word, our identity has been changed from the servant of Satan into the servant of God. Who? You and I have changed into the children of God out of the children of the devil. How? Only by believing Christ, by accepting Jesus s my Lord. Our position have changed. We believe in it. Jn 1:12-13 says “12 Yet to all who did receive him, to those who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God—13 children born not of natural descent, nor of human decision or a husband’s will, but born of God. “
Second, because he knew that when he devote himself to the Lord, he could enjoy the wonderful grace of gospel.
As we know we can not find that after Paul believe on Jesus Christ he did not complain against God, although he had met much suffering, much temptation and much troubles. How could he overcome every dangerous things? The text points the fact that he enjoyed the gospel that he devote himself to. What is Christian life? It is to enjoy the gospel. (God, grace, heavenly blessing, truth and unfailing love of God)
Verse 22-23 says “22 But now he has reconciled you by Christ’s physical body through death to present you holy in his sight, without blemish and free from accusation— 23 if you continue in your faith, established and firm, and do not move from the hope held out in the gospel. Do you understand that passage? It points to enjoy the gospel by devoting himself to it. So Paul was proud of the worker of the gospel, the servant of the gospel.
In our school life, we meet some struggles before the present life. Then what shall we do? Just like Paul did. We have to enjoy the gospel to enjoy the grace of salvation, to enjoy the Christ, our savior. Where is our present help? As we know the Psalmist confessed “ my present help is Jehovah God that is Jesus Christ. This is the gospel , the only joy in the world. Do you believe in it?
Actually I enjoyed the gospel in Mr. Vantha & Kakda village. When I preach the Word of God I was in the some troubles before I began my sermon because of much heat of this climate. But I tried to follow the leading of holy Spirit. I saw that 16 children concentrated on my sermon. Their eyes looked at me and their ears focused on me and my interpreter. I saw that they loved Jesus very much. I remember that at that time I enjoyed the gospel in my heart by the work of Holy Spirit.
My lovely students enjoy the gospel by passionate devotion to Christ. This week , we can expect to enjoy the gospel in our English study, Bible study and evangelism. If you enjoy the gospel already you arrived to the real blessing of Christ. If you ander over in your heart now come to the world of gospel our Lord prepared every thing to our every problems.
Third, He knew that the gospel should effect to all nations of the world.
- Verse 23 says,” 23 if you continue in your faith, established and firm, and do not move from the hope held out in the gospel. This is the gospel that you heard and that has been proclaimed to every creature under heaven, and of which I, Paul, have become a servant.
- Who is the object of the gospel? “ every creature under heaven.” In other words. It is all nation and all natural world , invisible world and Korea, America and Cambodia etc. They need the gospel. If they has no the gospel. They must dwell in the darkness absolutely because the gospel is the light.
- So Paul assured that to know the gospel become to rule over the world really, because the gospel make us to receive the powerful grace and wonderful wisdom in our lives in the world. So to know the gospel make us to become the global man in Christ. This is our experience. When we accepted Jesus as our saviors, we see the wonderful world, the kingdom of God. And also we have the heart that embraces our neighbors with wonderful love. When we were contacted to the greatest command, we already have been changed into the global man to go all nations, to teach and to preach the teaching of Jesus to our neighbors. Therefore the Christians should preach the gospel to our neighbors for sustaining his abundant life in the world. Whenever we preach the gospel to our neighbors, we experience grace on grace and peace on peace.
- Do you have such experience? Although anybody disturbed him, he can go to all nations in the world, Why? The Spirit works in his heart. (Acts 1:8) But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth.”
Ex: Jesus taught the truth to a young man that came to Him and asked how the man can I get the eternal life ? Then Jesus pointed him “sell your property and help the poor and follow me.” Do you know his response? Finally he could not answer to Jesus. Why? Because he can not control his property because of his narrow heart. He could not embrace all nations in his heart, because he did not enjoy the gospel.
My beloved students, Do you enjoy the gospel? Do you know the value of the gospel? Remember the faithful promise that Abraham received in Gen12:3 “all nations shall be bless through you. “
This is yours. Changing of your identity, enjoying the abundant grace and preaching the gospel to the all nations.
- You, be proud of the work of the gospel in your lives as Paul confessed.
I expect that after 3 years or, 4 years among us some person shall become great teacher to influence to all Cambodia, to the educational areas and the economic areas and to the culture areas with your gospel as the worker of the gospel. Have great dream to preach the gospel in your heart. Young man, young woman, see the spiritual vision in your heart! For what do you want to live? Live for the gospel and devote yourself to the gospel.
We thank you for your calling to make the worker of the gospel. Make us known the gospel, Make us enjoyed the gospel and also make us preached the gospel to all nations. I prayed in the name of Jesus. Amen. (2013.9.11 Chapel)