The Happy Confession of Peter (Mt 17:1-13)
After six days Jesus took with him Peter, James and John the brother of James, and led them up a high mountain by themselves. 2 There he was transfigured before them. His face shone like the sun, and his clothes became as white as the light. 3 Just then there appeared before them Moses and Elijah, talking with Jesus.
4 Peter said to Jesus, “Lord, it is good for us to be here. If you wish, I will put up three shelters—one for you, one for Moses and one for Elijah.”
5 While he was still speaking, a bright cloud covered them, and a voice from the cloud said, “This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased. Listen to him!”
6 When the disciples heard this, they fell face down to the ground, terrified. 7 But Jesus came and touched them. “Get up,” he said. “Don’t be afraid.” 8 When they looked up, they saw no one except Jesus.
9 As they were coming down the mountain, Jesus instructed them, “Don’t tell anyone what you have seen, until the Son of Man has been raised from the dead.”
10 The disciples asked him, “Why then do the teachers of the law say that Elijah must come first?”
11 Jesus replied, “To be sure, Elijah comes and will restore all things. 12 But I tell you, Elijah has already come, and they did not recognize him, but have done to him everything they wished. In the same way the Son of Man is going to suffer at their hands.” 13 Then the disciples understood that he was talking to them about John the Baptist.
Let’s pray – Heavenly Father, we thank you for your wonderful grace to our school. Lord, Lead us to know you and your truth deeply. Provide us the wonderful illumination to see the world of the Word of God. Strengthen the students with your right arm to obey your word. Especially give your mercy to Cambodia church to know the Word of God. Now open our eyes to see th wilderness of Cambodia. Use our school to glory of the kingdom of God. I pray in the name of Jesus. Amen.
1) As Peter and his fellows, John and Andrew confessed “Lord, it is good for us to be here. If you wish, I will put up three shelters—one for you, one for Moses and one for Elijah.” Their confession proved that they had already experienced the wonderful grace in their heart. Actually we need that same experience. Think about their situation. They stay in a mountain, the very miserable place and very poor situation. They did not dwell at the beautiful resort, but they stayed at a certain unsoften, bad place. But they claimed strongly “ It is good for us to be here.” Later Peter confessed the same thing to the Cappadocia Christians. “Peter, an apostle of Jesus Christ, To God’s elect, exiles scattered throughout the provinces of Pontus, Galatia, Cappadocia, Asia and Bithynia, 2 who have been chosen according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, through the sanctifying work of the Spirit, to be obedient to Jesus Christ and sprinkled with his blood: Grace and peace be yours in abundance…. 8 Though you have not seen him, you love him; and even though you do not see him now, you believe in him and are filled with an inexpressible and glorious joy,”(IPeter1:1-8)
His wonderful experience should be ours. Especially when we study the word of God in the school every day, we have to expect that experience. Do you have such confession? In studying, in cleaning, and in evangelizing , when we meet some struggles, really do you enjoy that world? True happiness abides in Christ. We believe in it. In Cambodia ministry we need that experience.
2. Let’s think how they took such wonderful experience through the text.
1. What event happened in that day?
1) Verses 1-3 says, “ After six days Jesus took with him Peter, James and John the brother of James, and led them up a high mountain by themselves. 2 There he was transfigured before them. His face shone like the sun, and his clothes became as white as the light. 3 Just then there appeared before them Moses and Elijah, talking with Jesus.” They were led by the Lord to see some specific things, “ the revelation was appeared before them. This is the supernatural event.
Always as the event of revelation happen , the grace of God comes and the truth comes to us. Matthew 11:25-27 says At that time Jesus said, “I praise you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because you have hidden these things from the wise and learned, and revealed them to little children. 26 Yes, Father, for this is what you were pleased to do.27 “All things have been committed to me by my Father. No one knows the Son except the Father, and no one knows the Father except the Son and those to whom the Son chooses to reveal him. “ Revelation (apokalupsis) means to take away some veil to see the hidden things” The revelation of the life, the food in our Christian life. Without the revelation (vision) he shall be stupid and perishable.
So We started new life at the moment that received the revelation of Jesus and every day we need the revelation in our actual life So as Paul pray to God to know the revelation, “ I have not stopped giving thanks for you, remembering you in my prayers. 17 I keep asking that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the glorious Father, may give you the Spirit of wisdom and revelation, so that you may know him better. 18 I pray that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened in order that you may know the hope to which he has called you, the riches of his glorious inheritance in his holy people, 19 and his incomparably great power for us who believe.(Ephesian1:16-19)
What did three disciples see in the mountain? They saw the transfiguration of Jesus. Verse 2 says” There he was transfigured before them. His face shone like the sun, and his clothes became as white as the light. “ What did they understand at that time? They assured that Jesus was not the simple person but God by touching the divine nature. They did not get the knowledge about God but got to know God truly in their heart. This knowledge is the eternal life. They enjoy the eternal life at that place. So they claim that “Here is good.”
2)In our school life we have to check up this point. Have you confessed such facts in our school? If you have this confession you can be successful in your life. Why do you like this place? Because to get some new knowledge, new relationship and the new friendship. More important is to meet Jesus Christ, the Word of God. I want that every student meet Jesus Christ in the Scripture deeply here. This is our main goal. Without any relationship, any time, any place, we need this experience in our lives.
- What is his wonderful experience?
- Actually although they confessed the wrong saying in ecstasy in the supernatural state, their experience is so important in our lives. When we read the Scripture, meditate the word of God and obey the word of God in our lives, we have to seek that experience. Sometimes we need fire, cool water, burning heart, boldness, deep repentance and assurance. We have to meet Jesus Christ in the daily life, moment by moment.
- Although Cambodia weather is very hot and we are poisoned by many worms in our bodies, we need to pursue the wonderful experience. Then they saw that Jesus conversed with two persons, Moses and Elijah. What did they talk with one another? It was the departure of Jesus, his cross. Although they had other theme one another. Their theme is the death of Christ. Why did Jesus treat to that theme? Because it is the main purpose of his incarnation . Without the cross, all world, all people all culture and all thing shall be meaningless. Without cross no blessing no salvation no heaven and no peace. As we know here two persons are very important person in redemption. They served the redemption in the Old Testament. Exciting experience is so important and also the soft relationship is very important but more important is the meaning of cross.
- In our school life we have to focus that point. Every day we have to learn the cross life in our lives.
- Whom did they see in his actual place?
- Verse 5 says “ While he was still speaking, a bright cloud covered them, and a voice from the cloud said, “This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased. Listen to him!” Then they asked for three tents on the mountains for three persons. Suddenly the cloud come to them and passed over them then they could see only Jesus. And they listened to the a voice out of above. “you listen to only his voice” Why did the Father God emphasized it? Because Jesus Christ is the only way only life and only truth. Moses and Elijah were only servants of the Son to accomplish the redemption in history through the cross. They learned that only Jesus Christ is the source of happiness. So our best concern must be to abide in Christ Jn 15:5. So we want to concentrate on Jesus Christ.
Ex: When I visited to the Angora Wat, I had seen several people who meditated on the siting state on the wet ground in castle. I did not ask who you are but I thought that they may Korean persons. I surprised at their passionate their religion, but I gave mercy to them because of their empty action, although they believe false teaching with their heart.
- My beloved students, in the World we are tempted by secular pleasure very much. If we enjoy in Christ and in the word of God, we cannot overcome this temptation. During the training time we have to seek the sweetness in Jesus and his word , the Scripture as the Psalmists confessed by himself..
Ps119:102 Your word is a lamp for my feet, a light on my path.
Ps119:143 Trouble and distress have come upon me, but your commands give me delight.
Peter remembered that a that time he looked at the glory of second coming of Jesus and he introduced us to participate into the more sweetness, the world of the Scripture. 16 For we did not follow cleverly devised stories when we told you about the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ in power, but we were eyewitnesses of his majesty. 17 He received honor and glory from God the Father when the voice came to him from the Majestic Glory, saying, “This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased.” 18 We ourselves heard this voice that came from heaven when we were with him on the sacred mountain….19 We also have the prophetic message as something completely reliable, and you will do well to pay attention to it, as to a light shining in a dark place, until the day dawns and the morning star rises in your hearts. (IPeter1:16-19)
Can do you confess that here it is good? You can do that assuredly to God and to the people.
When we study the Scripture we have to taste the sweetness in the Word of God.
At that time we can thank God in our heart truly. Because our corrupted heart shall be able to be ruled over by the truth we can see the world of grace.
- In our mission ministry I can point that worst thing in our students. It is the unthankful heart to God and o the man. Although many people devoted themselves to them with their all sacrifice, they could not give thanksgiving to them. This is big problems to you. It prove that they could not find the wonderful world.
- In this thanksgiving day our school students should thank to your parents and your teachers and your chancellors and your sponsors. Send your pure heart to them. Our father please that heart. Mat the grace of God to your heart.