The Foundation of the Church (Eph 2:19-22)
(Devotional Life Class) (10/31/2013)
Consequently, you are no longer foreigners and strangers, but fellow citizens with God’s people and also members of his household,20 built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets, with Christ Jesus himself as the chief cornerstone.21 In him the whole building is joined together and rises to become a holy temple in the Lord.22 And in him you too are being built together to become a dwelling in which God lives by his Spirit.
- We thank God for preaching the gospel to Cambodia, for studying the word of God regularly, for preparing the future workers and having the reformed presbytery. Above of all, we should keep the sound doctrine, the Scripture. This is the main purpose of our study and our ministry.
- In the text, we can find that the Apostle, Paul thought about very important doctrine of the church. The Apostle uses “the house metaphor” to explain what the church is. Verse2:20 “built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets, with Christ Jesus himself as the chief cornerstone.21 In him the whole building is joined together and rises to become a holy temple in the Lord.22 And in him you too are being built together to become a dwelling in which God lives by his Spirit.”
- What is the church? We have to admit the fact that the school is the church in our heart deeply. Our Lord is working in the church wonderfully. Do you believe in it? So we have to make sure some truth about the church in our heart. I can find three things in the text.
First, Christ is the owner of the church.
- We do not believe that the church is building but we do believe that the church is the assembly of Christians who accepted Jesus Christ as their savior and their Lord. So When we believe in Jesus as our Lord, we have changed into the new creature. We are born again by the Holy Spirit, we have the eternal life and we have remission, we have the Holy Spirit. We believe that fact. Don’t you think so? So we are the church that is united with Christ. Only Christ is our owner, our Lord as Paul says in verse 21-22, “21 In him the whole building is joined together and rises to become a holy temple in the Lord.22 And in him you too are being built together to become a dwelling in which God lives by his Spirit.” Who is our owner? It is Jesus Christ.
- Many people misunderstand that the owner of church is the man, a pastor, an elder or, a congregation. No, only Jesus Christ is the owner of church. But Christ lead the church through the pastor. So, the pastor is only the servant of Christ. The servant should obey absolutely to Christ. If he does not obey his owner’s words, he cannot become his servant.
- Our school students are the servants of Christ to glorify God. When we discuss some things, settles somethings and studies some truth, we have to accept them because of our owner’s will and also should obey them in our lives.
- Ex: When our school begin with the reformed theology, our school settled several important things in the board. Among them our school should establish on the personal godly life to follow Jesus. So we have emphasized that all students should prohibit the un proper relationship between the male and the female. Why? Because we want to be faithful to the calling of God we have to caution the thing. This is the will of our owner toward the our school. I do not know our students situation deeply. But I believe that we must go to the narrow way for the will of our owner.
Second, the church should stand up firm on the Scripture.
- Verses 20 says “built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets, with Christ Jesus himself as the chief cornerstone.” What does it mean? Generally, A building consisted of the cornerstone, the foundation and another structures. The cornerstone is Christ, the foundation is the apostles and the prophets in the New Testament, and the frames are all Christians who consisted of the Jew and the gentiles. So the church stand firm on Christ , Apostle and prophets that is the scripture. Today when we stand firm on the Scripture it is the best blessed life.
- Our school, our churches are building in the Cambodia history. We have to assure four important things about the salvation of the Scripture. What are they?
(1) Sola Scriptura (We should admit 66 books as the Word of God very well.
(2) Sola Fide ( We are saved out of sins not by work but by faith.)
(3) Sola Gratia (Only grace Eph2:8-9 8 For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God—9 not by works, so that no one can boast.)
- and Soli Deo Gloria.(I Corin.10:31 So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God.)
This is our purpose in our school life. Today we have to concentrate on them. Do you enjoy these mottoes? Your faith should stand firm on the Scripture. Then you shall see the glorious events in your life.
Third, the church shall be building gradually as the image of God, righteousness, mercy and faithfulness until the second coming of Christ.
- The church of Christ is building in the world until the second coming of Christ. As the constructing process meet many strange things, we need the tension, the creation, struggles and power. So God called for us for this ministry.
- Cambodia church is building in the earth by the Lord. So we have to offer our much troubles to this ministry because the Lord gave the mission to us. Then we shall enjoy the abundant grace, righteousness, mercy and faithfulness.
My beloved students, remember the teaching of Apostle Paul in this morning. Let’s take that such assurance( church’s owner is Christ, the church stand firm on the Scripture and the church is built by Holy Spirit until the second coming) to glorify God and to enjoy God.