The Biblical Marriage (Jn 2:1-12)
On the third day a wedding took place at Cana in Galilee. Jesus’ mother was there, 2 and Jesus and his disciples had also been invited to the wedding. 3 When the wine was gone, Jesus’ mother said to him, “They have no more wine.”
4 “Woman, why do you involve me?” Jesus replied. “My hour has not yet come.”
5 His mother said to the servants, “Do whatever he tells you.”
6 Nearby stood six stone water jars, the kind used by the Jews for ceremonial washing, each holding from twenty to thirty gallons.
7 Jesus said to the servants, “Fill the jars with water”; so they filled them to the brim.
8 Then he told them, “Now draw some out and take it to the master of the banquet.”
They did so, 9 and the master of the banquet tasted the water that had been turned into wine. He did not realize where it had come from, though the servants who had drawn the water knew. Then he called the bridegroom aside 10 and said, “Everyone brings out the choice wine first and then the cheaper wine after the guests have had too much to drink; but you have saved the best till now.”
11 What Jesus did here in Cana of Galilee was the first of the signs through which he revealed his glory; and his disciples believed in him.
12 After this he went down to Capernaum with his mother and brothers and his disciples. There they stayed for a few days.
Who is the first officiate of marriage? God was the first officiate in marriage of Adam and Eve according to Gen 2:15-25. “15 The Lord God took the man and put him in the Garden of Eden to work it and take care of it. 16 And the Lord God commanded the man, “You are free to eat from any tree in the garden; 17 but you must not eat from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, for when you eat from it you will certainly die.”18 The Lord God said, “It is not good for the man to be alone. I will make a helper suitable for him.” 19 Now the Lord God had formed out of the ground all the wild animals and all the birds in the sky. He brought them to the man to see what he would name them; and whatever the man called each living creature, that was its name. 20 So the man gave names to all the livestock, the birds in the sky and all the wild animals. But for Adam no suitable helper was found. 21 So the Lord God caused the man to fall into a deep sleep; and while he was sleeping, he took one of the man’s ribs and then closed up the place with flesh. 22 Then the Lord God made a woman from the rib he had taken out of the man, and he brought her to the man.23 The man said, “This is now bone of my bones and flesh of my flesh; she shall be called ‘woman,’ for she was taken out of man.”24 That is why a man leaves his father and mother and is united to his wife, and they become one flesh.25 Adam and his wife were both naked, and they felt no shame.”
- From this passage we find several important truth of the marriage. Above of all, we should examine our view of marriage. Do you know the biblical truth of the marriage? Now, we think the truth in our heart. Especially we see that this text points the true meaning of marriage through the event of the first miracles.
- The marriage should be accomplished in the kingdom of God.
- The sign of the text emphasize the features of the kingdom of God, those are, righteousness, peace and delight in Holy Spirit. V11 says “11 What Jesus did here in Cana of Galilee was the first of the signs through which he revealed his glory; and his disciples believed in him.” Can you find the feature in it? The kingdom of God was filled of the glory of God through the event. Jesus intensely revealed the glory of marriage. Why did he reveal the sign to the disciples? Because Jesus wanted to teach that true marriage exits in the kingdom of God. So the first marriage had begun with at the garden of Eden by God. the marriage was the first blessing that God permitted to the mankind. You know that reason? Only the marriage in kingdom of God can take true meaning.
- By the word of Jesus, the king of the kingdom, the fruit was revealed in the marriage ceremony. Verse 9 says “ and the master of the banquet tasted the water that had been turned into wine. He did not realize where it had come from, though the servants who had drawn the water knew. Then he called the bridegroom aside “ the water was changed into the wine. That event reveals the meaning of God’s kingdom.
- Christian’s marriage aims to accomplish the kingdom of God. What does it means ? Through the marriage we have to enjoy the grace of the Holy Spirit, righteousness, peace and delight except eating and drinking in the daily lives. So we respect the marriage and the family so.
- In Cambodia case, the marriage itself is a natural event in the world, but if it was disconnected to the kingdom of God, they shall lose true meaning of marriage. Without Christ their ceremony shall be empty. So only the Christian life can change the meaningless into true blessing of the kingdom of God for the Holy Spirit is working in the marriage.
Why does the Apostle Paul revealed the result of the fullness of Holy Spirit as the sound marriage life with the love and obedience?(Eph.5:18ff) Only the Holy Spirit can change the corrupted marriage into the beautiful life.
So we have to concentrate on establish the life of kingdom people in our lives, righteousness, peace and delight.
- The marriage should be established by obeying the command of the Lord.
- How was the event happened in the troubles? At the least there were two important conditions.
First, It was begun with Mary’s pray. Verse 3 says “When the wine was gone, Jesus’ mother said to him, “They have no more wine.” The marriage always has some problems, those are; financial issue, physical issue, relationship issue and each kinds of problems. Then Mary asked to Jesus Christ. It was a prayer. It is very important thing. Actually it is more important thing than the miracles. The communication itself between the Lord and the man is main purpose in our lives. Actually it is the reality of the eternal life. The actual problems make the true prayer, enjoying the eternal life through the intimate relationship between God and the man. Then he assures that Jesus is the son of God, the almighty God who can solve every problems.
Second, she obeyed the word of God so she exhorted the servants “ 5 His mother said to the servants, “Do whatever he tells you.” Her exhortation come out of the answer of her prayer. This is the wisdom. Obedience is the main point of the true wisdom. Always it is the Lord – centric action. Obedience of the Word of God is the core of wisdom.
- True marriage should be depended on the true relationship, prayer and obedience to the word of God as Mary did at that case.
So when we meet some problems we have to solve them by prayer and obedience.
- The marriage should be centered Christ in their union.
- Without Christ, any marriage shall become unhappy in their lives. But with Christ the marriage will be changed into most beautiful marriage as changing the water into the wine.
After the event the chairman did not know the source but the servants knew the blessing of the true marriage. The text points not to the married persons but to the servants. Why? The true delight of the marriage belong to the Lord and the obeying person, the people to united with Christ. Christian marriage is a symbolism of true marriage between God and his people, the true union. So we should respect any marriage in Christ.
- In the future, our students will have marriage life in your personal life. I and all professors want that every body longs the biblical marriage in your life.
Just like Isaac, you prepare your marriage through mediating before God. (Gen. ) “ “
- We live in the chaos day of marriage in the world. In America the church have to solve the gay issue. And in Cambodia case we have to solve this humanistic problem of the marriage. I respect their customs, but want to inform the biblical marriage in the kingdom of God. They have been taken much hours in the marriage ceremony. We have to conscious of the problem about that issue biblically. I think that they do not know the true meaning of the marriage. The true marriage needs to unite oneness in Christ. We have to lead them better direction in the marriage in Christ.
1) My beloved students, In the future drew your godly marriage in your heart to glorify God. As the revelation of Cana event you have to prepare to make the biblical marriage in your life. You have to pray it to God. Then God shall help you for his glory.
2)I exhort that you concentrate on to study and to train the godly life and the word of God and overcome the temptation of the sinful desire. Your God shall help you faithfully.
We thank you for your wonderful grace and for your amazing love to us. In the Lord’s day, provide us your heavenly rest in our heart to understand the word of God. Clean our heart with the precious merit of cross of Jesus Christ. Open our heart to know and your truth. Provide your illumination to see the world of sound marriage in this time. I pray in the name of Jesus Amen.
Lord, we thank you for your wonderful plan for our eternal life, for you gave us the family system in the world. Help us to make our future marriage as the sound family to glorify God and enjoy God fully. Lord provide us the fullness of Holy Spirit and the abundance of Word of God to follow the faithful way of obedience and love. Especially hold our students with your wise power to follow you by self-denial , cross-bearing. Bless our students to keep the godly life stream to despise the secular stream. Make them to follow the biblical marriage in their future. Especially make our all students become the godly husband and the godly wife. I pray in the name of Jesus. Amen.